BOOKS. JOY. JUSTICE - Equity and Serving Young Children
(If session is full - please go ahead and register in case of cancellations. This will also help us determine need for additional trainings.)
Together with your library colleagues and facilitator Janet Damon we will expand our understanding of equity, diversity, and inclusion in library services, including programming related to early literacy. This 4-week virtual learning cohort will use an equity lens to focus on implicit bias, 7 cultural dimensions, diverse programming and collection development for young children.
- Participation is limited to 20 and preference will be given to those that are able to attend all 4 sessions.
- Online sessions are scheduled for October 29, November 5, 12 and 19.
Topics will include:
- Implicit Bias
- We will focus on the roots of bias and empathy in child development from birth to five years old with an emphasis on strategies to help children reduce bias and build the fundamentals for connection and belonging.
- 7 Cultural Dimensions in the Workplace
- We will reflect on our own cultural values, beliefs, and different preferences using Trompenaars and Hampden-Turner’s model. This will increase our capacity to hold space for our managers, team members, and staff to increase our capacity for partnerships and collaboration with community partners.
- Diverse Programming
- Library staff members need to ensure that the materials and programming offered in storytimes are racially diverse, equitable, and inclusive. All children need to see themselves reflected in storytime adventures and see others who are different from them represented with equal importance.
- Collection Development
- We will expand our capacity to build inclusive collections and learn that it is easy to create an inclusive book collection.
Janet R. Damon Ed.S, MLIS is a literacy engagement activist who has worked to empower families and support their access to libraries and collections that feature positive representation of diverse children and families. She is an educator with over twenty years of experience working with students and families as a librarian and literacy consultant.
- Thursday, October 29, 2020
- Time (MST):
- 2:00pm - 3:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Arizona Time (change)