2021 Arizona Author Series: Elsie Szecsy "The U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps in Arizona: Stories of Service"
Dr. Elsie Szecsy will present a talk, "The U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps in Arizona: Stories of Service" as part of the State of Arizona Research Library’s 2021 Arizona Author Series. The talk is at 1 p.m., Thursday, May 20th, and will be held virtually on Cisco WebEx Meetings. Attendees are encouraged to register below to receive the link to the presentation. After the talk, there will be time for questions from the audience.
The U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps was the nation’s first federally funded education program for women. This program, administered by the U.S. Public Health Service, operated from 1943 to 1948 and addressed a critical shortage of nurses stateside during World War II. Through this presentation, we will learn about the program’s features and the history of the five participating hospital schools of nursing in Arizona. We will also experience some of the music and video of the time that inspired young women to patriotism through service in the Corps and recent reflections of some Cadet Nurses over their service over 75 years ago.
Dr. Szecsy is an emerita Academic Professional at Arizona State University, where she was a researcher in leadership and educational equity topics for about 14 years. During her last years at ASU, she became interested in the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps by way of some historical research related to her mother’s participation in the program. This interest led to the publication of two books and at least a dozen presentations on Cadet Nurses and the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps. Dr. Szecsy also curates the uscadetnurse.org website, which aggregates resources for those with interest in sharing information, and is the founding President of the USCADETNURSE.ORG Foundation, which is devoted to building leadership in recognizing Cadet Nurses.
This event is part of the 2021 Arizona Author Series. This program is supported by the Arizona State Library, Archives & Public Records, a division of the Secretary of State, with federal funds from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Arizona Center for the Book, a Library of Congress Center for the Book Affiliate.
- Thursday, May 20, 2021
- Time (MST):
- 1:00pm - 2:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Arizona Time (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.
Experiencing issues joining the meeting? Click here to visit the Webex Help Center.
Tips for troubleshooting audio
- Double-check speaker volume on your computer or device.
- Make sure the system is trying to use the correct device. Attendees can go to the Top-Left Menu and click Audio & Video > Speaker and Microphone settings. Then use the drop-down for either Speaker or Microphone to select the correct device, then click on Test to make sure audio is working.
- If audio still does not work, you may call in by phone to hear audio.
- Switch your view in Webex Meetings by selecting the “Layout” button on the top right of the presenter screen. There are several different layout options to choose from, including a full-screen view.
Using the chat
- Participants will be muted upon entry. Please use the chat for any questions or comments.
- Open the chat by clicking on the thought bubble in the lower righthand corner of your screen.
- Make sure your chat box has “Everyone” selected. This will send the message to the presenter and all participants.